Thursday, March 15, 2007

Behind glass doors

It was not the first time I see it, but this time, something felt wrong. I watched, as I waited for my flight at the airport terminal, the view of people gathering inside a small room with all glass doors. There was a lot of activity going in and out of the room, but still, the room seemed very confining.
I wondered how it felt looking at the outside wide space from the inside. I know I wouldn't like it. I wondered if it was an act of consideration from the designers of the room to make it with all glass walls and doors. But on the other hand, if you're inside, your confinement is displayed, and you will get a constant reminder of what you're missing outside.
And it's not just at the airport. Similar confinements and acts of isolation and rejection are all but widespread. This is a clear discrimination. To be confined to certain designated areas, or asked to leave a building, to stand out in the cold, aren't exactly the most considerate things to do to fellow human beings. It just doesn't feel right.
Oh, and on a related note, there seems to be a flaw in the design of these designated rooms. They are not well isolated from the air outside. You can smell the smoke if you walk by. We just can't accept that, can we?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home